Thursday, January 9, 2014

Being a grown-up kinda sucks.

I remember when I was a kid- I used to spend my time writing stories, drawing cartoons, creating my own board games and toys.  When my parents couldn't afford to buy a Ninja Turtles' lair, I built my own.  If wanted a robot to play with, I created one out of the junk in my grandmother's hall closet.  I brought my sister's toys to life and gave them all distinct personalities, I dreamt up monsters, and had adventures through space and time.  You may not know this, but I was the creator of the comics "Fungi and the Frog Force" and "Mothman." I was the author of "Time Flux" and "The Beast" (both of which won Young Author's Fair Awards).  I could do anything in those days and  I just knew that when I grew up I'd become a filmmaker or a cartoonist or a writer or a puppeteer... or maybe all of those things.  What ever happened to that kid?  Is that really him, sitting at a desk everyday and staring at numbers on a computer screen that elicit no emotional reaction whatsoever?   I don't think so.

The purpose of this blog is to find that kid again.  Over the past few years I've managed to beat back the mundanity of my day-to-day life a bit and I've started to pursue my dreams.  It's time to take it further.  I don't just want to do a few of the things I've always longed to do- I want to do them all!  I live in an age where the tools to create anything I want and show it to the world are right at my fingers- it's time to do exactly that.

-Kelso

3 comments:

  1. Did the same, just a decade or two earlier. I wrote "Star Warriors" and god knows how many Rod Serling ripoffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really terrible ten or fifteen page script a fellow geek and I laboriously typed on my old Royalite manual typewriter back in 1978. He was a fair artist and I was the writer. I actually have it somewhere in the basement. Maybe I'll dig it out and scan it. Just puerile stuff, really. Young pilot Kyle O'Brien flies through an atmospheric wormhole and finds himself engaged in a galactic war. Had beautifuls damsels in distress and an evil Emporer. All the good space operish stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete